Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Top 5 Albums of 2010

5. The National - High Violet - If I was to clone a voice for myself it would be the lead singer of the National. Listening to this album reminds me of sitting at a distinguished bar dressed in a tux sipping on a martini. The drums of this album gives it a spacious feel without losing the intensity of the sound. The album doesn't compare to '07 Boxer, but is a nice follow up to the album. Bloodbuzz Ohio is the top song on the album and the one I would download to check out.

4. Wolf Parade - Expo 86 - Wolf Parade has become a little heavier and more user friendly with this album. It still has the hooks of the vocals and the 2 or 3 minute guitar solos that they are known for. They have lost a little bit of their vibe, but overall the album is solid all the way through. Not quite as good as previous albums, but still ranks number 4 on my chart. Pobodys Nerfect is the download for this album.

3. Junip - Fields - This album is still climbing for me. I can listen to nearly every song without even approaching the ipod with the dreaded next finger. Jose Gonzalez is the lead singer of this band, and he has never been better. Generally he sticks to an acoustic set, but I must say it's very nice to hear an electric guitar or two in this album. I haven't seen Junip live yet, but as far as their sound goes I don't think there is anyone that I want to see more. Could be the album of the year a few months from now. Rope and Summit is the download that you want.

2. Spoon - Transference - Maybe their best album. They have found a way to incorporate a '60s, '70s, and '90s feel all into one album. You will find yourself singing along with quite a few songs on this album without the annoying the stuck in the head feel. Saw Spoon live for the first time earlier in the year, and thought the show was perfect. The catalog is quite deep for this band now, and they are able to put a great show together. Britt Daniels has the perfect voice for this band, and I see no slowdown for them in the near future and I would give them the best band in the world title right now. Trouble Comes Running for download.

1. Tame Impala - Inner Speaker - Out of nowhere a bunch of 20 year olds are able to sound like the Beatles mixing in Stone Temple Pilot drum beats and the out there of Radiohead. Album of the year easily. Any hour of any day I am able to put this album on and never get sick of it. I am quite bias of the heavy drum beats with the psychedelia sound right now, but this album has been played from top to bottom in my ipod for six months. Lucidity is the song of the year as well.

No comments: