Monday, May 19, 2014

While visiting  Sara in Damascus on the trail during Trail Days it was interesting meeting some people and hearing their stories.  It takes a certain type of personality to complete this venture. People on the trail speaking about things that there parents have done and seeing what their children are doing now goes hand in hand.  "My parents have done this trail, and now I want to do it."  It was eye opening to find out how these hikers think and compare it to the general population of  North America.

It's nice to draw inspiration from others.  There are people that have overcome obstacles or have completed life changing events that are inspiring.  When you watch movies, (especially Disney) where something happens and it makes your eyes swell up with pride.  You want that person to succeed.  Never really thinking that you yourself could do something similar to that person.  Now of course Disney loves to rock out that against all odds type of feel that sells.  Sometimes something just as simple of completing a short story or completing your longest hike.  Something that when you tell somebody that they smile. Then tell you  that they are proud of you.  You have no idea how those small words can make you feel.  Telling somebody that you are proud of something just because they were there is a completely different blog.

Where do you draw your inspiration from as an adult?  What do you want to complete?  Whether it's eating healthier, losing weight, quitting smoking, or climbing Everest.  Do you take pride in your tan?  So you take pride in that you know the exact time to turn over in the sun?   I draw my inspiration from my wife.  She is currently hiking the Appalachian Trail in the States.  Hiking from Atlanta to Maine.  Currently Sara is about 440 miles in, and doing really well.  I understand that not everyone can take 5 months off of work and complete this. Sara has also done the following.  Climbed Mt. Kiliminjaro, ran the NYC Marathon, hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim, lived in Vietnam for 6 months with a family, and traveled for 6 months around the world on her own.  It takes a huge amounts of planning for all of these things.  How can you not be inspired by this?


In the meantime I am trying to complete a half marathon.  There has never really been a time that running has been something that was craved.  Now that's different.  Sara ran the NYC Marathon a couple of years ago and it inspired me to do it.  Having somebody so close to me complete this made me understand the kind of dedication it would take.    I honestly thought running looked kind of lame, and actually blogged about that a few months ago.  Running is something that takes no time whatsoever.  It's a simple half hour or so out of my day.  Saturday's are my long run which requires a little more time.

I know that I am not a parent.  I don't have the faintest idea how difficult it can be.  One thing that I do know is that you are the main inspiration for your child.  If you are just providing for them and telling them that they can do anything, but you are not doing anything yourself it's going to be a tough climb for them.  Seeing the hard work that you put in doing things will be an easy area for them to draw from.   It doesn't need to be life changing.  They just need somebody that they can look up to.  Very rarely do I talk to somebody that gloats about how much money or possessions their parents have. Well no one worth talking to anyways.  It's the things that they did to make them the way they are that is the stuff that will make somebody say.  "Ah that's cool." 

What I was most guilty for years ago was blaming my colitis for everything.  There was a time that I was too sick to do anything extremely active.  I used it as a crutch for years though.  In the end it was just laziness.  There was a ball game on, or there were 6 beers that needed to be drank.  Realizing that those same 6 beers would still be there after I got back after my run.  Well probably 5 after Sara got into it.  I was jealous of what Sara was doing.  In the end I would just blame my sickness for my laziness.  Once I got out of that mindset I was much better off.  Usually time is the biggest culprit for excuses.  



There are many people that I know that the most exciting thing that they do is go out for a couple of beers after work one day.  Or watching Game of Thrones on a Sunday night.  Writing your bored as your status is unacceptable.  Put your brain to work. There are a thousand things that I want to do.  It doesn't just have to be things that require you to be active.  Write, draw, sing, paint, learn a different language.  Just do something that you can be proud of.  There are so many channels now to find anything to be interested in.  Challenge yourself, and you might be surprised who you inspire. 

No comments: